Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: parenting

Angry parenting

i have 16 months old baby he is a very picky eater i have tried all kinds of food still he is not taking he is otherwise active anybody suggest me any solution i am so frustrated

Hi Savidha

I know how it would be depressing, when our kid is not taking food.

It seems, you have tried all kinds of food.

Does he prefer some food if not favourite ?
    Like if he prefer dosa to idli, you can try that initially.

If he has a neighbour playmate, you parents can make them to eat and play
    together, so intake might increase.

My cousin tried the latter with her kid and he took more food than usual.

Parenting is just trying all the possibilities, isn't it ?

Hi Savidha, Don't worry about your kid as long as he is healthy, active and energetic and gaining weight.

Give him what he likes. Don't force any thing, he may dislike it.

Try mixing vegetables(mashed) with rice and try one vegetable at a time.

Just vegetables, or fruits at one time will also be filling. So don't worry if he does not eat rice.

Serve him in a special exclusive plate or bowl for him and make him eat on his own when you have your meals as a family. He may feel happy to imitate the grown ups....

Child rearing is interesting, so have fun and enjoy each moment...
    Music, music, all the way...
    Pushes your worries far away

www.jayskorner.blogspot.com

Blog Entries

Dear Savidha,

I can understand your issue, as I exactly had all these problems few months before and how much I was frustrated... But believe me, Kids cannot control their hunger for a long time, so sure will eat food...

Please answer few of my questions here.

1. You said, you have tried all types of food. Could you please name them. Because for sure moms here can give you more varities which you left out.

For example, I used to think that I tried all varities... But then later I joined one of the orkut communities, where I found tons and tons of recipes, which I never knew... I thought only idly and dosa are the different things to try...

Have you tried pasta with vegetables? Have you tried pasta with cheese? Have you tried banana fry? Have you tried milk shakes? If not, give a try... Sure your baby will like that dear...

2. Are you a non vegetarian? Then try the different recipes in that.... Give egg scramble, with peas and onion added to it....

3. How about your baby's bowel routine? Does he poop properly or has constipation pbms? If then may need some syrups to increase his appetite

Kids really look for varities... I learnt this from my son... If I give him the same food item continously for two days, for breakfast, then he will simply say a BIG NO on the third day....

Hope this helps... Let me know if you need more recipes, I'll write it here

Cheer up dear, after all it is the time we gals are repaying for the troubles we caused to our parents Just a passing phase

Smile thanks

Dear Mythilik
    Thanks for ur suggestions. i will try them out my son is allergic to egg protien so my doctor advised me to give him after his 2nd birthday.can u please let me know some of ur recipes for lunch
    lovingly
    savidha

Blog Entries

Dear Savidha,

Since your baby is just 16 months old, don't follow exact breakfast, lunch, dinner method... He will need atleast 6 times feeding scheme... So before starting with recipes, let me start with a rough schedule dear....

For example, let us say your son gets up at 7.30 in the morning... So you can have a schedule like this...

By 8 am - Milk (are you still BF? If yes then BF or else you can give other milks of your choice like cow's milk or formula milk)

By 8.30 am to 9 am - Breakfast (it could be idly, dosa, pasta, upma varities)

By 11 am - Some home made snacks like boiled banana (in kerala it is called as pazham puzhungiyadhu), vegetable soup

By 1 pm - Lunch (Rice or roti with lots of vegetables)

Make him to sleep in the afternoon as it is good for baby's health... Let us take as your baby sleeps from 2pm to 4pm

By 4 pm - Milk with little snacks like good brand biscuits

By 6 pm - Some Finger Fruits like apple and finger vegs like carrot (don't give in baby's hand and sit unnoticed.. he may swallow them... be on his side until he finish the food)

By 7.30 - 8 pm - Dinner (you can select the items from breakfast like idly, dosa or from lunch like rice and veg depending upon his taste)

By 9 pm - cup of milk before going to bed

I know this schedule cannot be followed very strictly... But atleast you can make a rough diagram like this to follow, so that your baby would be healthy...

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Hi Savidha,

Here are few recipes.

If you are giving dosa / idly to your baby, make the side dish different everyday.

For example one day you can give sugar (give sugar as less as possible), one day with sugar and milk, one day with honey. But these sweet items may make kids to get bored soon. So give varities of chutneys without much spice.

Tomato Chutney

Ingredient: Tomato - 1, Onion -1, curry leaves few

Keep a pan on flame and pour little oil in it. fry the cut onion, tomato, curry leaves for few mins. Once when raw smell goes, remove from flame and grind it. Season it with mustard and give this as side dish for idly/dosa. My son loves this a lot. For rice, you can give the same without grinding.

When I say Dosa, I want to mention one thing. My son loves Wheat Dosa more than Rice Dosa. Wheat is good for health also. So give a try.

Blog Entries

For lunch, you can give vegetable rice.

Ingredients

1. A cup of variety vegetables cut into small pieces (like beans, carrot, potato, peas, mushroom, etc...) avoid any allergic vegetables, if any.

2. Half tomato

3. Shallots (small onions) - 2 pieces

4. Ginger - very small piece

5. Garlic - 1 pod

6. Cumin seeds (Jeera) - 4 or 5

7. Ghee / Butter for fry

8. Rice - 1 cup (my son prefers Basmati rice)

Method

Cut ginger, garlic, shallots, tomato into very small pieces (make sure they are very very small that it don't stuck in your baby's mouth. If he don't like the taste of giner/jeera/garlic, avoid them)

Keep a pressure cooker / pan in flame. Pour ghee/butter. Put the cumin seeds, shallot, ginger and garlic pieces and fry for few seconds. Then put the tomato and smash it well. Then put all vegs and fry for few secs. Now add the cleaned rice and keep water accordingly (depending on ordinary rice or basmati rice). Close the cooker/pan and let the rice cooked fully. It would be good to have the rice cooked very well, so that it would be easy for the baby to digest.

You can have curd as side dish or just a spoon of ghee.

Since rich with veg, it is good for babies

Cool hi

Dear Mythilik

thanx for ur recipes and also for ur schedule let me follow this and inform u about d feedback